Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W Portraiture
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Mon Sep 8 18:44:04 2008

The statement about color portrait photography being about clothes
caught my attention. I took a photo for a daughter's prom. Great color
photo. But it's about the clothes. The elegance, the color.

I think the reason that black and white works better for portraits is
that we see in color. Color distracts, it distracts from the usual way
we see. Black and white makes us see anew.

The reverse is true when we do night photography in color. There, I
think color takes on greater significance because we see so much of the
dark in black and white.

Just a thought.

Doug