Subject: [Leica] Black & White film portraiture making a comeback?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Sep 8 14:25:37 2008

Adam Bridge offered:

Subject: [Leica] Black & White film portraiture making a comeback? WAS:
<sigh> Getting into printing.. need advice?

Hi Adam,

I believe there will always be a market for B&W portraiture. The real
shooters who can use film or digital and make smashingly beautiful B&W
portraits will always have clients! If they promote themselves properly!

And yes maybe there is a come back given it's so much easier to shoot B&W
digital and the availability of super fine printing papers today.

Simply because it shows people with a greater degree of character than the
"always super glorified look of a studio portrait in colour!"  Like some
embalming undertaker fixed them up for the right colour look we see so often
in a portrait!

This comment is made due to my undying belief of, "When you photograph
people in colour, you photograph their clothes! But when you photograph
people in B&W you photograph their souls!" And I've been proven right more
times than I can count!

Heck just look at the beautiful B&W portraits by KARSH and tell me this
isn't so. I knew the man well when I lived in Ottawa, as did I his brother
MALAK, another brilliant, but commercial subjects photographer.

I don't think the colour portraits KARSH shot hold a candle to what he
produced in B&W! And if he were still alive I bet he'd agree with me.

Today where so many are shooting digital portraiture there are papers that
defy a viewer to say whether it's digital or film! Heavy beautiful double
weight paper with all the feel and look of any wet tray paper.

Besides digital cameras have improved so vastly that in the right hands of a
talented portrait photographer and printer it's extremely difficult to see
or tell the difference in a print of film or digital.

I don't doubt there'll be all kinds of rebuts and doubters on that comment!
So what!

Besides digital is constantly improving and will eventually surpass the
qualities of film, maybe not today or tomorrow, but I bet before we see the
year 2020! Or sooner.

As usual my 2 pennies worth. :-) Have a go lads! :-)

ted

In reply to: Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Black & White film portraiture making a comeback? WAS: <sigh> Getting into printing.. need advice?)