Subject: [Leica] M8.. Kurland
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Aug 26 08:48:44 2008

At 10:48 PM -0700 8/25/08, Alastair Firkin wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>well said. Well summaried. To be honest, the full frame bit is the
>least of your issues. If Barnark had made the film size a bit
>smaller you might be demanding that, but you are correct on the
>other fronts. The camera is more like a Barnark than the M6. In
>those days, there were all sorts of fiddles and things that the
>photographer had to remember. I recall setting ASA: what an
>annoyance, and the data read out on the film was lousy. You had 2
>windows to use, one to focus one to compose, you needed multiple
>viewfinders, close up attachments, 2 dials for shutter speeds, reset
>the film counters, even load your own film!!!!
>
>The M8 is a compromise. I don't think anyone would have built a
>digital rangefinder from scratch like it, but that is the issue, its
>a 21st C camera trying to use 1950's technology. I still thank Leica
>for being brave enough to release it. I suspect there must have been
>many doomsdayers who saw this noisy heavy fat M on steroids to be
>the death of the company, but it is the only real way to use the M
>glass and digital together.
>
>Lets hope it evolves like the original cameras into something more
>useful: In reality, Leica should have abandoned its old mount and
>re-invented the system like most other companies, but I'm glad they
>didn't. The bugs are "fun" for an amateur, but I'm sure they are
>hell on earth for pros.
>
>Cheers

The use of my cameras is very simple. I pick it up, turn it on, set
aperture and focus and shoot. I don't fiddle with menus, filters are
on the lenses but then are no longer an issue and the file quality is
superb.

Would I like a camera that was the size of a IIIc, with a viewfinder
like a Zeiss ZM, dead reliable and never needing adjustment
rangefinder, noiseless ISO's to 100,000 at 25Mp, dead silent shutter
to 1/50,000 and with 10 stop stabilization capability: of course. But
compared with other cameras available now, and for what I like
shooting the M8 does a fine job. My Canons don't see much action.
This camera is much more useful.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design