Subject: [Leica] Ebay Policy changes..... No more Checks.....
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Thu Aug 21 17:11:54 2008

I'm sure I've posted about this before.  If not, I believe I did.  A
friend of my wife's was defrauded through paypal.

The buyer claimed the item was defective and was sending it back.
Sent back an empty package.

Even the postage alone should have been a clue.  It weighed 5 lbs for
the seller to send it.  It weighed a few ounces for the buyer to send
it back.  Hmmm.

Paypal refunded the buyer's money as soon as the package arrived with
the seller, who suspected foul play and opened the package in front of
a post office clerk.  Paypal pretty much told the seller there was
nothing paypal would do.  If the seller was a victim of fraud, the
seller should file a police report and try to recoup money that way.

I will not accept paypal as payment for any amount at which I would
cringe to lose unless it's from a trusted source.  Paypal offers no
more protection (and actually even less so) than sending cash through
the mail.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/