Subject: [Leica] hmm err how to manage offline cds / dvds in LR2
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Aug 17 18:31:32 2008

At 09:09 PM 8/17/2008, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>How do you manage offline files that reside on DVDs or CDs?
>
>I'm only seeing how to manage offline hard drive volumes...
>
>ARHHH....
>
>Duane

Duane -  I'm only halfway through the book so there may be another
way to do this ;-) , but this is what's working for me now.  When you
import photos to Lightroom, a preview and all of the metadata and
EXIF is stored in the main catalog.  For a DVD, for example, named
61949_486 or Honduran Children_118, just include the DVD name in the
keywords that you assign to all of the photos imported from that
DVD.  Then when you do a search of all of the photos in the database
for a Honduran girl in a red dress (other keywords that you would
have assigned) the photo preview comes up with all of the information
attached to it. There in the photo information is the name of the DVD
where the photo is located.

I used to label my DVDs by country and subject, and all of my old
ones are still labeled that way, but from now on everything will be
labeled by date because that is automatically included in the EXIF
information and you wouldn't have to add it in LR keywords.  For
example, a DVD labeled 080817 would include all of the photos made on
August 17, 2008, and that date would automatically be in the photo
information for all of the photos on that DVD.

Hope that makes sense.  It's all pretty logical when you think about it.

Tina

Tina