Subject: [Leica] Fakes
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Aug 13 07:00:14 2008

Olympic games, and sports in general, have been abused since long, not only
1936 and now. Commercially and politically, from all blocks if west or east.
Moscow '80 and L.A. '84 were similarly abused for political statements,
boycots and cold war sabre rattling. The chinese just come a bit later.

So, not the fact of abusing the games is the issue, but, actually, the
chinese dictatorship itself is it.

While I share Nathan's opinion about the chinese government for 100%, I
think also about those many regular, innocent, hard working chinese people,
who are, nevertheless, proud of being an olympic host for the world -
because they are chinese, and because they are patriots. I am far away from
putting these people in the same pot as their dictators, and I would not
affront them by claiming a tv boycott, which is anyway useless. I guess, if
there's something they like even less than their governement, it is
paternalism and moral instructions from europeans and north-americans.

What concerns the sport itself, my prefs are, like Nathan's, more focused on
football tournaments (Fifa, Uefa, CL) than olympic games with their medals
inflation and doping-suspected disciplines like track athletics, weight
lifting and others, but that's another story.

Though, a swiss compatriot, Fabian Cancellara, just won gold in such a
category, bicycle time trial... :-)

Didier

Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Fakes)
Message from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Fakes)