Subject: [Leica] IMG: The Best of Winthrop and Joseph (1 of 2)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Aug 9 23:42:42 2008

Here's a guided tour of my trip to Joseph, Oregon.  We also stopped in
Winthrop, Washington on the way.  If you'd like to see the whole thing
(~200 pictures) without commentary, start here:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/?g2_page=1>

Otherwise, here's a selection....  All with the M8, 35 and 50 Summicrons,
and 28/3.5 and 90/3.5 CV. Lens data in the EXIF.  0 mm is usually the 90,
except for one group where the black Sharpie marks rubbed off my 50.

Various critters in this subfolder. From Joesph, OR and the nearby Wallowa
Lake State Park and mountains (some posted before):
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/edits/>

Views from Sun Lake Lodge, on a mountainside above Winthrop, WA (I love the
rimlight on the people in 3520):
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003506.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003520.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003529.jpg.html>

Old (and semi-old) West stuff, Winthrop, WA:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003471.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003479.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003482.jpg.html>

Imnaha Canyon, on the way up to Hell's Canyon. You drive 40 miles from
Joseph through this canyon.  Then you turn onto a gravel road, and slab
diagonally up the side of the canyon for 6 hair-raising miles at a 16%
grade, until you get here:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003612.jpg.html>
And you keep going up along the rim, doubling back:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003632.jpg.html>
And up...
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003636.jpg.html>

Wildflowers everywhere. Could have used an SLR for the close ups, but
didn't have one, so the 90/3.5 at closest distance had to do:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003611.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003629.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003638.jpg.html>

Up and up, until after 14 miles on the gravel road, you reach the rim of
Hell's Canyon, 6,000 feet above the Snake River. The mountains on the other
side (in Idaho) are called the "He-Devil," the "She-Devil," and several
other subsidiary devils.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003640.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003642.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003673.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003670.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003697.jpg.html>
(sorry, couldn't resist)
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003655.jpg.html>

There had been a forest fire at the rim the year before:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003677.jpg.html
Which returned nutrients to the soil, and made things very green and
fertile this year:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003681.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003683.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003687.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003688.jpg.html>

Up in the fire tower. This is the Forest Service guy who recognized my Leica:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003694.jpg.html>
He has an M himself, but up there, he uses bigger glass:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003695.jpg.html>
What goes up, must come down (very carefully):
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/joseph08/L1003700.jpg.html>

(Continued in another post...)
--Peter