Subject: [Leica] haze? where it came from?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 8 15:30:01 2008

Qiao Li <qiao_li@mentor.com> wrote:

> The camera is Leicaflex SL.
>
> The "hazed" photos usually happen perhaps within 2 or 3 hours of
> sunset. They don't happen consistently before or after "un-hazed"
> photos though.
>
> Some have haze when there weren't any photos taken within hours
> before or after them. Some, like this "hazed" one, were in the
> middle of a sequece of pictures taken during a 10-minute or 30-
> minute period.

I won't be able to look at the pictures until this evening, but this being
a Leicaflex SL I have to wonder if the body has a light leak due to old
deteriorating light seals.

The viewfinder area is particularly succeptible to light leaks.  If the
light baffle at the bottom of the viewfinder eyepiece is out of place or
missing you can get fogging on your film if the eyepiece is exposed to too
much direct sunlight.

If the light seals around the camera's back are compressed the first place
you'd see fogging is one or possibly two streaks at the bottom of your
pictures, either side of center.  This is because the light baffle on the
camera body nearest the eyepiece has a couple of holes to enable access to
the grub screws that hold the viewfinder eyepiece on.  This leak might not
be evident if you've got a good tight grip on the camera, and it will be
more likely to cause a problem when you're not holding the camera.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

myhosting.com - Premium Microsoft? Windows? and Linux web and application