Subject: [Leica] Noise-free nighttime shots
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Jul 29 13:57:07 2008

>A NYT explanation, sort of, regarding why there aren't more small
>cameras with big sensors.
>
>The "noise-free nighttime shots" is quite a statement. I didn't know
>there was such a thing as noise-free? I thought there was just "less
>apparent noise". OTOH, I haven't used the camera so what do I know?
>
>FWIW:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/technology/personaltech/24pogue.html?e
>m&ex=1217476800&en=2e2ca0b8c5312110&ei=5087%0A
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5ts5bc

This camera has been commented on here before; under ideal conditions
it can take great pictures. The 4.6 Mp are just adequate for some
purposes, but the quality is very good. It's hardly 'no noise'. In
fact, it's not much better than the Fuji f30 in that regard, and
while the Fuji is no paragon in user friendliness, it beats the Sigma
in every possible way except manual controls.

At the lowest sensitivity, the Sigma is definitely 'low noise', but
not outstandingly so.

I still believe a small camera about the size of an Olympus XA with
an APS-C sized sensor could be readily built, with a fixed 35mm or
40mm f/2.8 lens, a good RAW buffer and excellent responsiveness could
be built and marketed for the price of the Sigma. The Foveon sensor
is nice, but it can't save a camera that is otherwise and
embarrassment. One weekend with one was enough.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design