Subject: [Leica] How to get an M8 for $3200...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Jul 24 07:13:40 2008

Nathan... I wonder too.  However it is impossible to differentiate SW from
Lens from Sensor..  There is nothing else digital to bolt the M lens to with
the same resolution; there is no other SW available in the camera; and there
is are few lenses ( Zeiss is the notable exception, and I have seen nothing
as a comparison on the  M8) that can compare to current Leica glass.

What I do note is that Nikon D3 is touted by many to be a significant
upgrade to the D2.  It has a new sensor, a new SW, but same glass.  By
inference, that tells me there is a huge difference in these areas for
improvement.  And that the glass is NOT the only ( and maybe not the major )
determinant of digital picture quality.

Further, the display SW is also a determinant... and there we do have info
that program 1 is displaying differently than program 2, etc.

George had the best perspective.. it is like the film days.... you get the
tools and learn their qualities, then combine them in ways to get your
desired effect... or not.  It is an expensive project for both time and
money.

I can not stand to experiment.  I use 3 films... Tmax100, Hp5+, and Fp4+.  I
use 2 developers.... Rollo Pyro and TmaxRS.  I have learned these.   I do
not wish to use the top 100 films with 27 developers and dilution
combinations of them.  There are those that get their jollies in so doing.
Good for them.

Luckily, I do this for a hobby.  I make my choices, and stick to them.  I do
not need to experiment with different ( and really time and $$ expensive)
choices to find the "best."

If I went digital, I would use an M, and one SW package.

That's just the way I do things.  And wonder if the grass is not greener
using some other SW package...... or more.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

But then I wonder how much of that difference is due to the difference
in sensor/software configurations (an area in which Leica has no
particular competitive advantage) vs. difference in lens quality
between the Leica M and Canon lenses (an area in which Leica is the
acknowledged world leader).

Nathan

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] How to get an M8 for $3200...)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] How to get an M8 for $3200...)