Subject: [Leica] PESO: Two More From the Ogontz Ave. Jazz Fest
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Fri Jul 11 13:53:42 2008

Thanks, George.  I think I found my personal groove in several respects:

1. b/w film.  I really, really like shooting with it. Irony is that on the
last batch I got better results from the
so-old-school-it's-practically-stone-age Efke than the super-duper TMAX.  Go
figure.
2. An AE camera, which lets me concentrate more on the image.  Much as I
love my M3 and VC meter combo, I've saved SO much time by avoiding the knob
twiddle and settings.
3. Immersing myself in groups of people.  I used to shoot more with 50s and
90s, now I'm getting closer using the 35 most of the time and have just
fallen in love with the 28 3.5 discontinued VC.

For those who still shoot film, I can't say enough good things about the
R2a/R3a camera.  Wish I got one ages ago. Sure, it doesn't match an M7 fit
and finish (I know, at less than 1/7 the price), but it's extremely light
(my neck feels SO much better after a day's shooting) and I don't have to
worry about inadvertently roasting the shutter curtain (which once happened
to one of my M cameras). Only downside to the Voigtlander R2a/R3a camera is
that the shutter speed readout sometimes disappears (flares out) in very
bright sunlight, and the rewind crank can be a pain in the butt when it
decides to fold up in mid-rewind.  I can always put my hand in front of the
viewfinder (thanks, TA, for that suggestion!) if I need to see a shutter
speed in bright light, and I've figured out how to rewind without the Murphy
bed effect.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA

Who is now contemplated getting film processing equipment for his new house.

Message from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] PESO: Two More From the Ogontz Ave. Jazz Fest)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] PESO: Two More From the Ogontz Ave. Jazz Fest)