Subject: [Leica] IMG : #130
From: graham at geebeephoto.com (Gee Bee)
Date: Thu Jul 10 11:12:12 2008

From: "Lottermoser George" <imagist3@mac.com>

Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG : #130

> Compositionally it seems to need a bit off the left.
> I'd cut it through the far left tree.
> YMMV
>
> Fond regards,
> George

>> Leica M6 : 50mm Noctilux : Kodak Professional BW400 CN
://leica-users.org/mailman/listinfo/lug for more information

Hi George,

Have to agree on the lop sided effect but I offer the things I considered
before taking the shot by way of  mitigating factors
:-).

It was a wet day with poor light so I was scratching around for something to
shoot.

I needed maximum dof to get the web and the longboat in focus.

I set the Nocti to f16 and hyperfocal distance which gave me a dof from 9ft
to infinity.

I paced off 10ft from the web which made the area I used about a tenth of
the full negative.

I was worried about getting the web sharp because there was a strong wind
blowing it about and at f16 with 400 film I was down to
1/30 second shutter speed.

I thought I could cram a bit more negative in if I cropped 16:9 ratio
because just out of frame top and bottom are the railings
that support the web.

Although I have kept the shot as it was originally posted I have now flipped
the shot horizontally. It is still lop sided but
possibly because I read from left to right it seems slightly less so to my
eye.

Thanks for looking and commenting constructively.

--Graham

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] IMG : #130)