Subject: [Leica] IMG: Aechmophorus
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 6 23:12:12 2008

Aechmophorus is the genus name of two grebes (family Podicipedidae) found in
western North America, the Western Grebe (Aechmophorus occidentalis) and the
Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii).  These were formerly considered
conspecific but were split in the last few years.

Outward differences include the extent of black on the bird's head, and the
bill coloration.  Western Grebe has more black, extending below the eye, and
a greenish-yellow bill.  The black cap of the Clark's Grebe does not extend
below the eye, and the bill is more orange-yellow:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/wegr00.jpg
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/clgr01.jpg

Technical stuff:  I wanted land or vegetation behind the birds reflecting in
the water to avoid a glaring bright reflection of the sky, so in order to
get close enough to the birds with this background I needed to be in the
water looking back toward shore.  The kayak seemed the most suitable tool,
being small, easily maneuvered and close to the water's surface.

I also chose early morning for these photos so that the light would be at a
low angle and the water's surface would have a minimum of ripples.  As it
turned out the morning hours also had the best quality light because our
brief respite from forest fire smoke ended in the morning hours, and because
the lake is popular with many people with paddle craft.  I was in the water
by 7:30 AM and headed for home by 9:30 AM

Camera equipment: R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8 Telyt, shoulder stock
Exposure: 1/2000 sec @ f/6.8
Location: Lake Natoma, near Folsom California
Date: 06 July 2008

All comments welcome

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento