Subject: [Leica] Piccadilly now M8 bw IR filters
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jun 16 00:04:40 2008

Steve:  Without the IR filters, you may get a bit more shadow detail, and
more texture in dark fabrics.  You may also get slightly less sharp
pictures, because the IR component focuses at a slightly different distance
than the visual component.  You will get lighter faces, and you might see
some blood vessels beneath the skin that you wouldn't otherwise.  How much
of all this happens depends on how much IR there is in the light, and how
IR-reflective the picture elements are.

The effect is more pronounced under tungsten light or direct sunlight, less
so on cloudy days or florescent light.

So it's a trade-off.   Probably a good thing in dark bars and pubs.  Sean
Reid says he likes to do B&W sans filtre.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Piccadilly now M8 bw IR filters)