Subject: [Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jun 2 12:31:57 2008

Thanks, everyone!  Mark Rabiner's remark in particular points out why it
may *seem* like having two (or three or...) lenses in the same focal
length might seem redundant, but it might not actually be redundant.

It's why I've ended up with exactly what Mark mentions in 50mm lenses:  A
50/1.5 CV Nokton for available light, a modern Summicron for razor sharp,
and a DR for when I want it a little special.  And a couple of inexpensive
oldies for retro look.  This is cheaper to do in 50mm than 35mm, but with
the M8, 35 is the new 50.

Anyway, Ted and others are essentially advocating the Alfred Eisenstadt
lens test method:  Buy the lens.  Use it.  If you like it, keep it.  If
not, sell it.  Makes sense.

As does not selling the 'Lux ASPH unless it became a shelf queen once the
35/1.2 came on the scene. Which I doubt would happen.

Thanks to everyone for the various perspectives. We shall see.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Have 35 'Lux, want 35/1.2 Nokton. Crazy?)