Subject: [Leica] color vs bw images...
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat May 24 14:57:19 2008

hi Tina,

I have been following/reflecting on all the thoughts/opinions re color
vs bw versions of your images from India...

here are just a few thoughts...(FWIW)

Your bw work has always been moving, powerful, magnificent. I have
always felt it more convincing, though you have done beautiful color
images too, of course.

I suspect that bw is more natural for you, perhaps lending itself to
the poetry that you see, perhaps it is your innate preference.

You appear to be trying to do more/all color, possibly for commercial
reasons.

You have expressed that the images from certain countries are more
compatible with color or bw images, and will lend themselves to that
result.

You appear to be now trying to decide after the fact, whether the RAW
files are best done in bw or color, though I assume your first thought
was color.

I suspect you are not thinking precisely "bw vs color image" as you
take the shot, though in India you may have been assuming, the image
would be color.

Personally, I have to think in color or bw at the time I take the
shot; I make my choice then, if not the image is often indeterminate/
ambiguous and I am never sure which is best.

A priori I see no reason why photos from India (or Guatamala, for that
matter) must be in color or bw, it depends on what motivated you to
make the photo, ie what did you see...?

Clearly, these are my own thoughts, I am trying to get inside your
mind, and I may project to you my own motivations...I may be totally
incorrect, if so I sincerely apologize,

but...

perhaps, if all this holds truth, this may be causing you to be less
convinced of your end goals, the resulting images being less
convincing as well...

Steve

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] color vs bw images...)