Subject: [Leica] IMG: Kettuvallam
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu May 22 10:51:27 2008

PESO

Somebody asked to see the Kettuvallam (also spelled Kettuvallom)
houseboats.  I've put quite a few up on my website:

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/gallery/3917424_3shyZ#299619414_E5GQ2-A-LB

http://tinyurl.com/6j5y2n

"The Kettuvallam or 'boat with knots' is called so because coir ropes
tied in knots hold the entire structure of the boat together. During
the entire assembling work of the boat, not a single nail is used.
The boat is made of huge planks of Jack wood (Artocarpus hirsuta) or
'Aanjili' and joined with coir. This is then coated with a caustic
black resin made from boiled cashew kernels."

We had a great overnight trip on one but if you're going you'd better
hurry.  They are building hundreds more and the canals will soon be
as clogged with boats as they are with water hyacinths!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] IMG: Kettuvallam - Problem)