Subject: [Leica] Orphans works bill as seen from abroad
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue May 13 19:14:33 2008

At 02:52 PM 5/13/2008, you wrote:
>A bit of an international and perhaps more balanced perspective:
>
>http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1028
>
>Nathan Wajsman

 From that site:  "Both pieces of US legislation seek to ensure that
users make a diligent search for copyright owners before using work
claimed to be orphaned, and pay them reasonable compensation if they
surface, unless the use is for scholarly, charitable, religious or
educational purposes."

This is what I do not understand.  Why should works used for those
purposes be exempt from reasonable compensation!!!!?????  That would
exempt all of the work I do - all work for textbook and publishing
companies, all work for non-profits, all work for any religious
organizations.

Every time I read one of these articles brushing off editorial
photography as worthless, I get steamed!

Tina

Tina Manley
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Orphans works bill as seen from abroad)