Subject: [Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE! :-( DON'T CRY LATER! YOU WERE WARNED!!!
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun May 11 13:33:21 2008

At 03:55 PM 5/11/2008, you wrote:
>And, again, just what IS "Orphan Works".  Orphas often work:  read
>Charles Dickens for examples.  But that was more than a century
>ago.  What Orphans are working now?  Tell me, so I can get Tina
>fired up on a campaign to save them.
>
>Marc

Marc - It is your work and the work of every other photographer and
illustrator that will be the orphans if this bill passes.  Right now,
everything you photograph is considered to be copyright protected the
second you press the shutter.  If this bill passes, you will have to
register everything with the copyright office (at about $45 per
registration) and, even if it is registered, anyone who finds it on
the internet without any identifying information (or strips the
information out) can use the photo any way they want!  If you find
out that they have used the photo without your permission, they are
then required to pay you what THEY consider to be a fair amount for
the usage.  The discovery is up to you, there are no penalties, and
the payment amount is up to the infringer.

I do not agree with ASMP's stance on this bill because they support
it with limitations (the limitations being that they would protest
the bill for commercial usage but any documentary, editorial, or
educational usage would be exempt from any regulations as Orphan Works)

You can read ASMP's take on this here:
http://www.asmp.org/news/spec2008/orphan_update.php

You can protest here:
http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/

I would advise everybody to protest. As a mother on this Mother's
Day, I don't want any orphan photos to be abandoned out there in
cyberspace!!  Save Our Orphaned Photos!  SOOP?

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI
http://www.tinamanley.com