Subject: [Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs. M8
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Apr 21 21:09:56 2008

Integrated Circuits have features that are in the area of a few tenths of
Microns thick.  Translation: The focal plane of the sensor is less than a
Micron in thickness.  If t he focused image does not fall in this plane, it
is out of focus.

If the lens focus plane moves 120 microns,......... the M8 will ALWAYS be
out of focus ......at F5.6.  Remember, all we did was move the Aperture ring
from F1 to F5.6......not the subject nor our position nor the focus ring on
the lens.

Maybe now it is easier to understand why the M8 and the Nocti are not the
best combination.......

BTW, film has a thickness of about 1000 times thicker.  As was previously
stated, the Nocti works fine on film.......

Marty.....Thanks for the numbers......

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Focus shift is important in all optical systems where spherical abberrations
are the main limiting factor for resoltuion.  This is the case for the
Noctilux.  At going from f1 to f2 the Noctilux focus shifts 74 microns
closer than the gain in depth of field.  Between f2 and f5.6 the shift is
120 microns greater than depth of field.  This is enough to visibly lower
contrast in enlarged prints due to slight softening.  Resolution is harder
to assess, but Erwin makes it clear that it was visible on the test bench.