Subject: [Leica] Noctilux discontinued?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Apr 20 11:22:35 2008

> The Noctilux 50/10 has indeed been discontinued.
>
> I smell a 50/0.95 at 8,000+ Euro.  Yumm........

I believe they can come up with a more compact version of an f1 50mm lens.
And one cheaper to manufacturer. With ASPH's and APO's and moveable lens
groups all going in moveable directions simultaneously like the new 50 1.4.
And special nano coatings.
All designed with those new computers they have now.

Do we need an ultra fast lens now that the amazing low light capabilities of
digital photography has hit?

A fast lens comes in handy for a cropped format as its otherwise harder to
get limited edgy slice of depth of field. But you can get edge sharpness
with a 1.4 or 1.8
as they become 50 * 1.33= 66.5
 66.5mm lenses on your M8.

I'm holding on to mine. Will shoot it with film and when Leica finally comes
out with a full frame digital rangefinder body.

Tina's shots last week certainly shows us some of the special qualities
which only Leica users can get with their Noctilux f1 made for night
shooting lens.

Question is if they update the Noctilux and continue to dominate the highly
sought after f1 title will it still be optimized for night?

I think it will optimized for 2PM in June. Cloudy bright.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com