Subject: [Leica] IMG: The cardinal redone
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 19 10:34:53 2008

Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:

>Thing is for years and before Photoshop standard bird and other animal
>photography has been with very long lenses and picking a moment when there
>is nothing of course; between YOU and THEM. A brief moment I'd think when
>you had them in the clear.
>The fact is this is an abstraction.

It's possible to have a clear view of the subject and still show that it's
in dense brush or tall grass:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/spgr00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/rnph01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/mimidae/cbth00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/atsp00.html

>In real life  you're not going to see a bird like that as if your right on
>top of it. Its going to be far away and in the thicket. Rhino's too I think.
>I say all this because there is a mind set now that photography became
>"fake" when it went digital. And I don't think that's the case.
>Photography was never real.

I agree, it's never been real, but if the photographer chooses to (s)he can
convey as much accuracy as possible.

>We cant trust the reality of a photo now because of Photoshop?
>No we never could.
>There was airbrush. I owned one.

This isn't exclusively a photoshop issue.  As far as I'm concerned
airbrushing alters pictures too and has as much potential for distorting
accuracy as photoshop work does.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com