Subject: [Leica] OT: Newspaper Layoffs
From: gcr910 at hotmail.com (Greg Rubenstein)
Date: Fri Apr 18 08:04:34 2008

Speaking as a former newspaperman, photographer and reporter, this ain't
surprising.

-- First: cost. Newspapers have always been businesses, not publicly
subsidized utilities. Staff members often don't think that way. I was as
guilty as any early in my career. Newspapering is not a good business these
days. The business model and management have failed to adapt to changes in
technology and society.

-- Two: Quality. From Photoshopped photographs fobbed off as real to
falsified articles and the ubiquity of "unnamed sources, sources close to,
and unidentified sources," most newspapers, and other media, have pretty
much given up their credibility. Even television: look at the softballs
lobbed by interviewers posing as newsmen/newswomen and the burgeoning
practice of kowtowing to celebrities.

I feel badly for the individuals and families bearing the brunt of rogue
individuals' actions and the endemic bad management and leadership. There
are good newspaper people -- photographers, reporters, editors and managers.
But remember what Carl Bernstein said in the wake of the awards he received
with Bob Woodward for their Watergate* reporting: "One of the easiest things
in the world to be is a lazy newspaperman." That may not be verbatim, but
it's as close as I remember. And, given today's environment, all too true
and all too sad.

*(While I continue to rail against unnamed sources and such, all references
to their then-unnamed "Deep Throat" source were accompanied by an editor's
note telling readers that management knew who the source was; we don't see
that today.)

My best wishes to the people who leave voluntarily and involuntarily, and
their families. I also send my good wishes to an industry I love and was
once part of. Truth is I miss it -- every time I read a newspaper (mostly
the white space between the printed lines) and again when I wash the ink
stains from my hands.

Greg Rubenstein