Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG ot: sorry, I meant the 14-24.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Apr 17 22:02:42 2008

> The "older" Tokina digital 12-24/f4 received very good reviews and cost
> half
> of the Nikon 12-24/f4 price. Plus you could find them!
>
> Sigma's 12-24 also received great reviews, though it was f5.6 instead of
> f4.
> Clive has shown some impressive Sigma images.
>
> So I guess some believe it.
>
> Chris

Yes but it says "Tokina" on it.
I've never seen one in use. Known anyone who would be caught dead with one.

The Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF HSM is a full frame lens . So its
really an ultrawide.
The Nikon 12-24 f4  is a DX format lens. 1.5 crop.

But yes you can use the Sigma in cropped format camera.
And it works out fine.
Sigma is about the only third party lens manufacturer I'd ever buy from.

You could compare a
Hasselblad Zeiss Distagon 50 against a Leica Summicron 50.
But as they are for different formats few would.
A more extreme example. But kind of the same thing.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com