Subject: [Leica] IMG: Desert Cottontail
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 13 18:30:12 2008

Jim Nichols <jhnichols@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Great shot, Doug.  Is the notched ear common?  I guess it might happen if
>one runs through cactus.

>> http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/lagomorphs/deco03.jpg

I've seen many with notched ears, one with a notch so deep it nearly sliced
the ear in half.  This population of Desert Cottontail lives in a patch of
Blackberry vines and I suppose it would be easy to get an ear caught in a
thorn while running from a predator.  Thanks for looking and commenting.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com