Subject: [Leica] In defense of the newspapers
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Fri Apr 11 10:05:17 2008

The loss of readership and advertising revenue is nothing new to
newspapers.  Back in the early 90's when I was still working in Atlanta
for the Daily News, A New York Times paper, it was far too common to
hear of a paper somewhere closing.  That was one of the first big waves
of closings, at that time most two paper towns became one.  I remember
having a conversation in the photo department of how we all had friends
in different cities who had lost jobs to closures and how we were happy
to still have a job at a good paper...well in about a year we walked
into work and found out we had been sold for assets and then
closed.....One of the guys went to AP, one to the AJC, one to teach, and
I went to UPI then  to magazine work...the rest just got out of the
biz....they were the smart ones.

I can understand the need to make ends meet, that is something everyone,
except governments, do.  What my main gripe is how so many people are
un-educated in how the business works and just give work away.  I have
not worked in the paper business since 1992 when our paper closed...I
have no desire to work in it again.  Newspapers can be great training
ground for a photographer, you learn how to work under pressure, work
fast and to deliver the goods come hell or high water, but it is also in
many ways a thankless mistress.  Too many times the desk editor picks
the bad images, they crop your photo to death....but it was a great way
to get started.

Magazine photography was different, that is what I concentrated on for
almost 10 years...now it also is going the way of the dodo.  More and
more "canned" art is used, more magazines are getting work from the
mid-level to lower level shooters who have no problems signing a work
for hire agreement, and there are things like WireImage who sell images
at a level that is absurd.  Basically now I just concentrate on higher
end commercial work, and on the custom design printing business I
started last year with a friend.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography