Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder news - Digital Zeiss RF by 2009??
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 31 21:54:49 2008

> It appears Leica will have some digital rangefinder competition in 2009.
> According to Getty Images Europe, Zeiss will introduce a demo digital
> rangefinder at Photokina 2008 and expect to have a full working model by
> early
> 2009.
>
> Specs are real scarce but this was posted on a Japanese Zeiss website and
> some
> images are now being seen on the web. It's possible the images have been
> taken
> down by now but I'm sure more will pop up. This does not appear to be a
> cruel
> rumor or fake. Zeiss reps are saying 14mp 23.8 x 35.9 size CMOS chip with
> iso
> from 25 to 6400. M-mount with 3 new lenses to be announced as well.
> Sweet,maybe they are going with the Sony chip that's in the Nikon D3? A
> 50mm
> Nocti would be a 50mm again!
>
> I wonder how much this will cost and I wonder if this is a Cosina/Zeiss
> collaboration? I was under the impression Zeiss does not make their own
> cameras.
>
> Photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23157194@N02/2378515123/
>
> Chris
> NOLA

Its a  block box with writing which says its an April fools day joke.

My guess is though the reality of a Zeiss Cosina digital camera is probably
immanent and no joke.
Sooner than April 1 2008.
Which will be sooner than Leica gets its act together to do anything.
We're on the long haul deal now.
We must think of the long range.

This to me means among various projects and programs we'll get fit in when
and where we can.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Rangefinder news - Digital Zeiss RF by 2009??)