Subject: [Leica] San Diego Air Races
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Fri Mar 14 16:26:33 2008

>Neat stuff! And I bet as most photogs. covering an event like this, you
>thought the same thing. "Man if one of them prangs a building I hope it
>happens right in front of me!"

Ted - Actually, I was more likely thinking, "Man I hope it doesn't
crash *on me*! When the first aircraft entered the race course, I
lowered the camera and just watched in amazement at how men and
machines seemed to be skirting disaster by a hairbreadth. It took me
awhile just to track and anticipate with the long telephoto.

It's hard to imagine the kind of g-forces pilots were experiencing.
After a tight turn to enter the pylons, they then suddenly rolled 180
degrees so that they crossed through the pylons at the opposite bank
of the turn that brought them there. I have flown some radio control
airplanes like that, but was mightily impressed that pilots *inside*
were tossing their craft around the skies like that.

Anybody who loves flying should try to attend a Red Bull air race
---- before someone crashes into a historic building or into
someone's living room and they get forced by the lawyers to abandon
the whole wonderful spectacle.

Gary Todoroff

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] San Diego Air Races)