Subject: [Leica] Not Buying M8
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (amr3@uwm.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 13 12:54:52 2008

Quoting  "David Rodgers" <drodgers@casefarms.com>

> I'm not sure about others, but when I shoot digital I rarely think in
> terms of BW. It may end up that an image works out better in BW. But
> it's usually serendipitous rather than planned. OTOH when I'm shooting
> BW film everything is aimed at making a BW print. Since color is not
> even an option I ignore it beyond how it will come across on BW film,
> given the spectral sensitivity or use of filters. OTOH, I'm way more
> cognizant of shapes, forms, textures, etc. Lighting and composition are
> very closely linked to those things. While they can be important in
> color, they usually take a back seat to color hue and saturation. Yet
> they everything when it comes to BW film.
This is my approach too.  In the old days at my job, I never liked it when
clients asked for both B&W and color from the same job.  Not only did it mean
switching cameras, but switching my brain between the two modes, and the
chance
of getting the right shot on the wrong film (i. e. composing with color
separation in mind, but exposing B&W and having gray tones blend, etc.).  I
like to set my mind for one at a time, and if I want B&W (for myself), I
don't
see the point of shooting digitally.  At work I appreciate the digital
advantage  under low light and other difficult conditions.

Alan  Chemical Photographer  (Thanks, Luis)

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3@uwm.edu

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Not Buying M8)