Subject: [Leica] [IMG] PAW 50 - Laon West Portal Detail
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun Mar 9 15:42:46 2008

I have long wanted to vist the Cathedral of Laon in North  East France, not
far
from Reims. It is one of the jewels of European Gothic art, built on a hill
surrounded by its town, domonating a plain which in the first World War was
the
scene of many huge battles the famous - or notorious Chemin des Dames is
nearby). Last year I had the opportunity to divert on a trip.

I have to say that I was sorely dissapointed by the town amd the state of
the
Cathedral. For a major art historical site it was almost entirely deserted.
While we were inside it we only saw a couple of other people. The carvings
are
however beautiful. This is an example from the west (principal) portal:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PAW+2007/92480028LaonEastPortalDeatil4_edited-2.jpg.html

Your comments and constructive criticisms are as always welcome,

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Peter Dzwig