Subject: [Leica] M8 Shutter fault - service levels
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Fri Mar 7 15:12:43 2008

Frank,
Schmidt Hong Kong lent me an M8 when my original M8 had the dreaded
shutter error notice (and Leica Solms gave me a new camera). When
that replacement developed a pixel line in the CCD 23 days after I
got it - I took it to Schmidt and was again given a loaner. Schmidt's
technician hand carried the camera to Solms (he was going on a
training course), Leica replaced the CCD in the week that he was in
Germany and he brought the camera back to Hong Kong in his carry on
luggage. Some complain about how poor Schmidt is as a Leica
distributor but that has not been my experience. By the way I didn't
buy the camera in Hong Kong - I bought it from the Leica Shop in
Vienna - and still I got this level of service. I am not and never
have been a working pro - but I did invite Schmidt to see my Leica
pictures at the China Tee Club - and dropped SK Lee's name several
times (I know that wouldn't help much now). Years ago I had to send
away an M6 for a service problem and Schmidt lent me another M6 which
I kept for about 4 months so that seems to be their policy. Perhaps
this level of service happens to me because I am invariably polite
(even when seething inside) and the Chinese revere age. Who knows!
Cheers
Howard
(in Hong Kong where his M8 is functioning just fine - touch wood -
but where he notices how much better the low light high ISO
performance of the Nikon D300 is - technology is marching on)