Subject: [Leica] Leopard Upgraders - Beware of False Aliases
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Sun Mar 2 10:14:17 2008

I just upgraded my PowerPC iMac to OS 10.5 and, during what was
otherwise a normal erase, install and restore sequence, the
restoration software for reasons unknown, or maybe known only to a
sadistic programmer out at 1 Infinite Loop, referenced all my desktop
aliases to my backup drive rather than my main drive.

The results of this unfortunate screwup was a puzzling routine
overnight restoration of the files these aliases were supposed to be
referencing on my main hard drive to where on the day of the upgrade,
no matter what I had done in the meantime.  Nasty, huh?

It's all fixed now with only minor damage, but beware of this trap if
you're contemplating the upgrade.  This didn't happen when I upgraded
my Intel MacBook Pro.

Good luck!

Regards,

Dick