Subject: [Leica] OT: Binoculars, what's top quality?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Feb 29 07:13:48 2008

At 05:31 AM 2/29/2008, Vick Ko wrote:

 >I'm thinking of getting a new set of binoculars, general usage and
 >birdwatching.  What's top quality - the little red dot from Leica?
 >
 >Are there other "cult'ish" brands to look at, like Docter, Swarovski,
 >... that combine superb quality, outlandish price and "pride of
 >ownership (okay, snob appeal)?

Vick

I have a slew of binoculars and use them
regularly.  The absolutely finest pair I own are
Docter 10x,40 Asphericals but these are no longer
manufactured.  The Docter 7x,40 EDF roof-prism glasses are also
extraordinary.

In general terms, Zeiss, Leica, and Pentax hold
the high ground for optical and build quality and
for price.  The next level is Swarovski,
Optolyth, and Docter.  And then comes Nikon,
Canon, and Swift.  Zeiss no longer uses the
Hensoldt brand but used glasses often show up
which are quite nice.  And Wild in Switzerland
also occasionally produces great binoculars.  All
of these guys produce
outstanding  binoculars.  Part of the trick is
figuring out exactly what you need and doing that
delicate calculus of quality versus price.

A good low-end choice would be a pair of the
Russian 8x30 clones of the Carl Zeiss Jena
binoculars.  These are new production, are of
sound mechanical quality and outstanding optical
performance and can generally be had for $100 or
so.  And you can often pick up a pair of Carl
Zeiss 10x,40 Classic glasses used for under $400
-- these are the binoculars which routinely score
with heavy-duty users as the "second-most desired" binoculars.

I would recommend you visit the Deutsche Optik
web site.  They are a San Diego outfit who specialize in high-end optics.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!