Subject: [Leica] Wow, are the Mamiya as cool as the HASSELbald?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Feb 26 06:11:41 2008

Quoth the Richard Man :

> Wow, I know prices on MF are dropping through the floor to the other
> side of China, but $650 for two RB67 bodies plus 65mm and 90mm
> lenses  (listed as 7-8.5 conditions) plus a couple 120 backs sound like a
> steal?

KInd of depends on the specs and the conditions of the individual
items.  It's probably fair if they're working.  Pro's with non-C
lenses, it's high.  Pro-S models with C lenses, I'd look at it.  Keep
in mind that an RB in 7-8 condition has probably got a LOT of miles
on it, but it's an RB.  They just will not die.

> May be I will get them and cover the logos with the HASSELbald
> logo....

Or just shoot `em and smile.

For me the decision was pragmatic - I've never 'seen' square photos
well, so a 6x6 was a bigger heavier 645 that cost more to run. 6x7
suits my eye better.

GS1 Bronica - doesn't have revolving backs, which means shooting
verticals (like, say, magazine covers) isn't as much fun as it might
be.  And I just don't care for the feel of it, for no reason I can
articulate.

Mamiya 7 - hard to find, expensive, and doesn't have interchangeable
backs - either carry two, waste lots of film changing in midroll, or
give up B&W in MF.

RZ - Meets all requirements, lots of electronics, reputedly a little
more fragile than its slower older brother, takes batteries.

So I got an RB.  We get along nicely.  We have a lot in common - it's
big, heavy, slow, low-tech, thoroughly unglamorous, and nobody
SERIOUS will admit to liking them, but it just keeps on ticking.
(I've seen them in the background of more than one NatGeo "about the
photographers" pic, though.)   I get all the bits and pieces CLA'd
when I get them, new light seals every once in a bit, and I've never
lost a shot due to a mechanical failure.  And I just love that big
neg in the darkroom.

It's my favorite camera for landscape or anything I can use a tripod
camera for.  I've even done a tiny bit of street work with it, but
it's purely a one-shot thing as the "blend into the scenery" bit only
works until that thing goes KerWHUMP!! and everyone for a mile knows
there's a photographer working.  However, that one shot will be
fabulous if you can get it right.

There's an under-body pistol grip for the thing; they're a lot less
common than the side grips, but if you want to handhold it's a heck
of a lot more stable and less tiring to use.  It's primarily a tripod
camera, though.

Mine isn't for sale until the freezer's empty.... and it's a big
freezer.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com