Subject: [Leica] what?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Feb 23 13:48:53 2008

Before if we wondered in the new directions Leica was taking were we looking
at the vision of Mr. Lee or Dr. Kaufmann;
Or a glorious fusion of both their minds eyes?

Now we know its the vision of Dr. Kaufmann alone we will be experiencing.
That's less confusing for us back seat guessers.

We heard Dr. Andreas Kaufmann talk at length in Rochester 5 months ago about
his visions for the future Leica. The company he owns. And plans with great
relish to run. He never once mentioned Lee's ideas.
He seemed to very much have his own personal view of what Leica should be
doing. Though it didn't say "Leica" anywhere on his business card.

Was the Summarit debacle in mediocrity Lee's idea and has it bombed?
Was the upgradeable M8 Lee's idea and has it bombed?
I'd love to know if we'll ever know.

Perceptions
or behind the scenes ledgers? Which has made Mr. Lee a past tense name?

A cost cutting line of glass able to be sold at a higher price margin for
Leica without all that ASPH and APO and internal movement nonsense not true
to the Leica historic Summarit Roots?
I found that way uninspiring not sure what the world thought.
Have they sold well were they able to be made cheaper?
News not coming at 11.

I'd not send my M8 back for a quieter shutter I don't think its all that
noisy.
Has there been a dip in M8 sales now that its very core essence seems in
question?
This would be an obvious result of such happenings.

But a camera which can be upgraded to an larger format is nothing but good
news to this happy M8less camper.
Plunking down five grand for a camera body and finding out it's inimically
upgradeable.
That's both very very good news and bad news depending on which angle you're
looking at it.
An owner of the camera..
An owner of the company.

And yes the D3 beckons for me as well as I've been mainly using Nikon DSLR's
in the past years..

I relate where Leica is at now.
Like a young kid right out of college "I'm gonna do this I'm gonna do that."
I'm gonna be full frame - I'm gonna make a DSLR system.
Its all in the future. All very exciting.
It history which just hasn't quite gotten around to happening quite yet.

Yet Leica is a company going back to the mid 1800's
Which is it?

We find out this new kid right out of college is in retirement age.
We cant ask his mother if its ok if he mows our lawn before breakfast.

This kids got legs.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] The fall of Pentacon)