Subject: [Leica] M8 questions
From: lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth)
Date: Thu Feb 14 15:30:52 2008

Hi Tarek, congratulations, I'm sure you'll love the camera. I've had mine
for just over 12 months, taken 12,000 frames and I'm still loving it! To
assress your questions...

1. Yes it is, but no big deal - it wipes off <grin>.

2. Correct, the frames are accurate at .7 metres. Leica decided that people
would prefer to see everything in the frame at the minimum focussing
distance. Personally I'd prefer them to be accurate at say 2 metres.

3. Yup, especially in that Mediterranean light <grin>.

Sensor cleaning, most of the time I use one of those bulb hurricane blowers.
Don't use canned air, the propellant can cause problems. I have a visible
dust LED loupe, that makes identifying the dust spots very easy. I also have
an Arctic Butterfly for those stubborn spots the bulb blower doesn't remove.

As you're probably aware from your other digital cameras the dust is more
apparent at smaller apertures, to at f16 it may be obvious, while at f2 you
can hardly see it. If you spot dust in post processing it's usually easy to
remove using the clone and/or healing brushes in Photoshop.

Never, ever, try to remove dust from the sensor by blowing on it with your
mouth. You're guaranteed to set particles of spit on the sensor.

Finally the M8 is a fantastic camera. It together with Leica glass is a
fantastic combination, the level of retrieved detail can be almost
frightening. I've printed to A2 without any problems what so ever.

Steve

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] M8 questions)