Subject: [Leica] Is the TE a zoom?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun Feb 3 08:22:46 2008

A question naturally came up while I was idly wondering what Leica
could do in the way of transforming the M System if it started giving
M bodies a zooming viewfinder like the ones that most P&S digicams
used to have before chimping became the norm (or that some, like my
wife's Canon G9, still have, with its 6x range optical viewfinder,
which in an M would accommodate all lenses from 16mm to 90mm...and
zoom objectives as well):

        Is the Tri-Elmar anything other than a 28-50mm zoom lens with
detents
at 28, 35, and 50? The lens diagram seems to indicate that only a
single element moves during the focal-length change, so unless there's
something about the design that screws up the focus at intermediate
positions, it seems to me that it should have a continuous range of
FLs. Has anyone tried taking photos with the FL ring in intermediate
positions? What was the result? (I can't find the answer to this on
either the Leica or the Puts websites.)

Doesn't an M8Z sound logical and natural, given the expense of Leica
prime lenses on the one hand and the level of optical performance that
modern technology has brought to zoom optics on the other?

--howard

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Is the TE a zoom?)