Subject: [Leica] M8 upgrade confirmed via e-mail from Leica
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 31 14:30:37 2008

At 10:05 PM +0000 1/31/08, Christopher Birchenhall wrote:
>On 30/01/2008, Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> wrote:
>>  I assume that this confirms that there won't be an M9 at Photokina.
>
>What is the basis of this assumption? Why not upgrade the M8 alongside
>a M9? M8 owners may feel upset if their investment is reduced in value
>by a M9 and an upgrade may reduce those feelings. If you are right it
>is because Leica have not yet fully re-organised; that is a credible
>hypothesis.
>
>Chris B
>
>P.S. Any one else heard rumours of a new Leica M film camera?

The basis for this assumption is that now they have something for the
M users for Photokina, and they can concentrate on the R10, which
they desperately need to ready for the show. With the resources they
have, announcing a new R10 and a total of 24 new lenses stretches the
company quite a bit. Not having to produce an M9, which Kaufmann
indicated 'might' have a FF sensor, makes things a lot more
manageable for the company, and they can do a better job in the areas
where they do have to produce.

On the other hand... I don't have any further information beyond what
Kaufmann said in his presentation in November, and the article of
early December.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design