Subject: [Leica] replacement for M8 shutter?
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu Jan 31 13:48:48 2008

Not exactly, since this isn't a recall.  A recall is when a company makes a
defective product that needs correction, such as when an automaker recalls a
model because of potentially faulty brakes, or engine leaks, or electrical
problems, etc.  In that case the product should be fixed free of charge.

In the case of the M8, there was nothing truly defective about the original
shutter. It worked properly and within specifications. Leica just improved
the product, and offered to sell the improved version as an upgrade.

Products improve all the time.  In most cases (such as cars, or TV sets, or
cell phones) we have to buy the new version to get the improvements.  In few
cases you can return your current model for an upgrade, such as upgrading
the processor or memory of your computer to the latest and fastest
technology.)  I believe the M8 upgrade falls into the latter category.

I'm no apologist for Leica--they do a LOT of things less than
intelligently--but you also have to be fair to them, too.  This upgrade
isn't some consumer ripoff, just an introduction of improvements to their M8
technology.

Let's face it: Leica (and every camera manufacturer today) is in the
electronic business.  Electronics become obsolete fast.  Every M8 purchaser
should have known that a) they were buying a piece of electronic and b)
sooner rather than later the camera would be superseded by an electronically
superior model.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA