Subject: [Leica] one of the most important news for me
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Jan 31 00:29:55 2008

Mehrdad

A pocketable travel camera with a fixed wide angle lens is interesting in
any case, but there are some issues with the Sigma DP-1:

- slow lens: f4 is disappointing for such a concept
- partially outdated specs since the camera has been announced one and a
half year ago (sept 2006)
- and unfortunately, Sigma could not take much advantage in terms of high
ISO behaviour out of this foveon sensor, which is also used in the already
released Sigma SD14 dslr. There's visible noise already at ISO200, see
http://tinyurl.com/33fh8t (frontside of speakers desk), but my impression is
it's slightly better than the Ricoh GR-D. The fact it does not offer higher
ISO than 800 looks like Sigma admits 1600 would be useless.

The main advantage of the foveon sensor seems to be the better dynamic
range. Btw this sensor has not DX format, but is smaller (1.7 crop factor
not 1.5)

Practical tests, handling and 1:1 comparisons with the GR-D II will tell us
more. Meanwhile, I pack my R-D1 with a CV wide

Didier

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor) ([Leica] one of the most important news for me)