Subject: [Leica] How long has the M8 been out? Beyond warranty period?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 29 06:31:58 2008

Vic Ko said:

>>> My struggle with buy or not-to-buy the M8 is a matter of afraid of
getting stuck with a camera that is unreliable and needs repair.<<<

Vic,

The unfortunate thing about the M8 is/was the Magenta thing as the #1
problem that was "fixed" with Mickey mouse style IR filters. Yes others had
weird things happen also. However many of us had absolutely nothing go wrong
with the camera and it worked like a dream M camera should even. Well OK a
couple of times a scene glowed like a setting sun in the fires of hell! :-)

However at this point in time I imagine the M9 will be a whole new ball of
wax without filters and glitches as they'll be a distant past. At least I
imagine that will be the case.

I had two reactions to your purchase of the M8, first of which ."Why would
he buy now when waiting a few more months and get the new improved M9?"

Second, "Pay the same price $5000 or nearly so as many did when it was new
to the world months ago?" Unless he got it for at least half price. Or quite
frankly 75% off the original selling price?

Mark Rabiner offered:

>> I don't believe it will be unreliable and need repair.

But I do fear it will be a frustrating experience coughing up 5 grand for it
and then next week news comes out that the M9 or whatever they call it is
not going to need the cut off filters.<<<

Mark,

I can't believe the magenta thing would still be part of the M9 still
screwing about with add on filters. Surely not?

 If that's the case, then anyone still devoted to buying a $5000. or more
digital M should check themselves into a re-hab equipment hospital for
mentally challenged photographers. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] How long has the M8 been out? Beyond warranty period?)
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] How long has the M8 been out? Beyond warranty period?)