Subject: [Leica] Some New Pix Info
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Thu Jan 17 15:43:20 2008

Phil,

It is indeed Mata Ortiz in Chihuahua, Mexico. As you state it is a
village that has developed an international reputation for its
resurrection and contemporary interpretation of a pottery tradition that
had died out about 900 years ago. My wife and I had visited there in
2003 to buy some pottery. At that time I learned that the Mexican
government was going to pave the 20-mile dirt road to the village as an
economic engine for the region. I had been looking for a personal
project and decided to photograph the village as a culture in the
process of historical transformation as a result of its place in art
history. The paving of the road was completed about three years ago.
There have been others who have photographed the potters and pottery so
I decided to approach my project with the intent of photographing daily
life in the village at a given moment in time and not the potters per
se. I've spent about the last five years going there every two to three
months (from Pennsylvania) for a week or two or three. People have been
very open and accepting. According to friends of mine who are pottery
dealers there has been a significant change in the standard of living in
the past 25 years as a result of the prosperity resulting from their
art.  Thanks for looking. Also, for what it's worth, I've been doing the
project using all black & white film capture. I decided I want an analog
legacy, that there is a historical significance to what I'm doing and
that I want  the pictures to outlast the limitations of the technology
du jour.

Carl

Phil Swango wrote:

Message: 11 Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:58:59 -0700 From: "Phil Swango"
<pswango@att.net> Subject: [Leica] Some new pix To: LUG
<lug@leica-users.org> Message-ID:
<1be504db0801170858n20305354r1c4e243c0731cd2d@mail.gmail.com>
PM, Carl Socolow wrote:

> > I've been slowly processing, scanning and working up some pictures
> > done
> > this past year from my ongoing project in Mexico.

Nice work, Carl.  From the titles it appears to be Mata Ortiz.  One of my
former folklore professors did some fieldwork down there among the
pottery-makers.  Mata Ortiz ceramics are widely sold here in Albuquerque
too.  Could you tell us more about your project.  FWIW, the people in your
photos look to be more prosperous than they were 20 years ago.

-- Phil Swango 307 Aliso Dr SE Albuquerque, NM 87108 505-262-4085

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Some New Pix Info)