Subject: [Leica] OT: Value of Rolleiflex
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Jan 14 13:05:11 2008

> On Jan 14, 2008 2:40 PM, David Rodgers <drodgers@casefarms.com> wrote:
>
>> That's certainly a nice camera. I'd like to find another Rolleiflex. The
>> shutter in my 2.8C Xenotar is questionable and I'm not sure it's worth
>> repairing.
>
> Of course it is! 134 USD + shipping with work done by the very best:
>
> http://www.rolleirepairs.com/cla.htm
>
>> I had my 3.5E Planar CLA'd a few years ago. My only regret is
>> that I didn't have a (Maxwell?) bright screen installed at the time.
>
> Don't give it another thought. The Maxwell screens are bright, but
> they are more difficult to focus. You see more, but it does not snap
> in and out of focus like the ground glass screens do.
>
> I have a Maxwell screen on a Rolleicord.
>
> I have another Rolleicord with an original screen and then something
> called a Rolleigrid. The Rolleigrid is a fresnel lens that you put on
> top of your original screen. It redirects those dark corners into a
> nice evenly light view. It costs about 30 USD on auction. It is made
> by Rollei.
>
> It isn't as bright as the Maxwell, but the difference is not great and
> certainly not worth 100 USD and the headache of getting your focus
> correct. Maxwell screens are not quite the same thickness as the
> originals. You can install them yourself, but it takes some tedious
> trial and error.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I really like both, the Maxwell screen and the
> Rolleigrid.
>
> But the Rolleicords have a 3.2 viewing lens. The 2.8 view lenses of
> the Rolleiflexes are much better. Looking down a Rolleicord is like
> looking down a dark chimney.
>
> A Rolleigrid on a Rolleiflex ground glass is all you need. Though,
> truth be said, I am satisfied with the original ground glass of my
> 3.5E (Xenotar, of course).
>

>> Just after I got the E back I came across a used 2.8F Planar priced at
>> approx what you paid. It had a bright screen. I already had two Rolleis
>> so I passed. Now I wish that I'd bought it. The bright screen makes a
>> big difference. The only bad thing about buying an older TLR -- or any
>> older camera for that matter -- is the potential for repair. The CLA on
>> my E wasn't inexpensive. It probably cost about what the camera is
>> worth.
>
> Check out the link to Harry Fleenor. He has a fixed price for the
> shutter overhaul.
>
> Daniel

I had my Screen Maxwell by Harry Fleenor when he CLA'd  it  10/12/04 and I'd
recommend it as well as of course fixing the shutter if was broken.
If ever there was a camera worth maintaining it's certainly a Rolleiflex.
In 30's Germany which camera cost more a Leica or a Rolleiflex anyone know I
have no idea but think the Rollei might edge the Leica out by a few Marks.
Although maybe it was a thousand Marks for a loaf of bread I don't know.
All in all not a good time to be a Mark, perhaps.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com