Subject: [Leica] IMG: Harbors #272
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Mon Jan 14 08:59:59 2008

Hey Jim--

It still operates a spur line from Chocwinity to Belhaven, Pantego,
and Plymouth. It may be called a turnstile bridge. It is open in this
photo. It rotates on an center pivot to join the fixed portions of
the trestle. You can see more of the structure here:
http://tinyurl.com/2uh4gw

Until just a few years ago it was opened and closed by a man affixing
a large "wrench" and walking in circles at the middle of the draw
section. It has now been motorized. It is closed and dogged before
hurricanes for fear that it may be blown out of alignment and no
longer match the tracks properly. It's standard position is open on
days the train does not run.

I'll see if I can drum up a shot with the train crossing.

Thanks

ric

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Harbors #272)
Message from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Harbors #272)