Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 12 21:22:58 2008

Ted I'm not sure we're at different ends of the fence when your surgeons are
operating they are concentrating  very intently of course on what they are
doing. You are not in their way. They're not mugging for the camera
certainly and you're not asking them too. You're close, right there but not
in their way or distracting them in any way if you were of course its life
and death and they would have asked you to leave!

Same with the politicians you mentioned all very involved with some very
intense thing they are doing and not so much worried if you're shooting them
from their best angle or not during the Cuban Missile crisis.

To me this is sometimes not an issue of blending in its an issue of staying
out of the way. They're doing a job so are you.

I'm not denying your work here Ted but I'm saying here its easier to get
into "invisible" mode when all hell is breaking loose and people are very
intent on what they're doing and don't have time to be intent on you! Which
is not new news.

I think though thinking we're "invisible" its a relative term often what
we're really saying is we're staying out of their way and they're letting us
be there.
Their process proceeds unhindered is if everything is totally normal.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] When in doubt ask photographer)