Subject: [Leica] Summarit Reviews
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Jan 12 11:26:03 2008

Yes, BD, I agree to some degree.  However my real point is that the major
market for the Summarits is us cheapskates  that buy used.

In my case, I have bought 1 new Leica lens and 1 new Leica body.  My stable
is larger, all bought used.  If the Summarits had been out at the same time,
and I could buy a new lens for the price of a used one, I certainly would
have gone that route.

In some previous statement by the President of Leica USA or the CEO of Leica
Germany, the guy said that the sale of used equipment is 4 times the new
products sale.  I think he wants a piece of that market segment.  I know I
would like to dip into it, especially if it means survival.  I think the
reason for the Summarits Is to get some of us cheapskates to buy a new lens
that supports the factory rather than a used one that does not.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Interesting, Frank. But if I may suggest you're off on one point - the fact
that someone is willing to plunk down the $5400 for the body does not mean
they have thousands more for lenses. They may well have scrimped, saved, and
sold their other equipment to get that body.

Personally, I think that the Summarits are competing not with
new Summicrons, but used ones.... after all, a person that has $5400 to
plunk down on a M8 body has a few thousand more to get top notch lenses.  It
is us cheapskates ( PC term.. financially challenged)  that buy used that
they are trying to reel in.

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (bd@bdcolenphoto.com) ([Leica] Summarit Reviews)
Reply from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Summarit Reviews)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Summarit Reviews)