Subject: [Leica] New TSA Rules
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Dec 31 13:34:20 2007

LUG:

I don't know if you have heard about the new TSA rules effective
tomorrow.  This will be a problem when I go to India.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

On January 1, 2008, a new rule limits how many
spare lithium (rechargeable) batteries you can
take on an airplane.

1.
No lithium battery spares are allowed in your checked baggage.

2.
Up to two spares are allowed in carry-on bags.

3.
Batteries that are installed in their devices are
not spares and are not affected by the new rule.

Details

The formal regulation limits you to 25 grams of
"equivalent lithium content." According to the
Transportation Department's SafeTravel site, 25
grams translates to about 300 watt-hours of
battery capacity. The typical spare battery for a
laptop or video camera is in the 100-200
watt-hour range.

Some of your "what if" questions are answered on
<<http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html>the

SafeTravel site.

The reason for the rule is that there have been
cases of a battery catching fire. The TSA reasons
that if the fire broke out in the passenger
cabin, it would quickly be noticed and the flight
attendants would put it out with fire
extinguishers. In the baggage compartment, it
probably would not be noticed until the blaze was
out of control.

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI