Subject: [Leica] Lightroom off on a tangent
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Dec 27 06:46:43 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 3:30 PM, Don Dory <don.dory@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting comments as I migrated to Mac as my Windows machine would
> regularly reboot when using LR even when I proceeded slowly and only after
> the hard drive quite thrashing.

I should be clearer.

I didn't _need_ to reboot my Windows machine other than to run
Lightroom. All the other applications worked just fine. Lightroom
freezes up, but not the operating system (no blue screen of death
either).

But unless I rebooted, I couldn't get Lightroom to work anymore. I
could go to the task manager and kill off a locked up Lightroom, but I
couldn't use it again until I rebooted. Every time I start it, it just
freezes up again.

Everything else works just find. Only Lightroom acts up.

> I have had no issues using an entry level
> Macbook with 2 gigs of memory.  So, I believe there is some basic level
> issue with LR and the Windows OS possibly a conflict with memory
> management.

I've been using it since it came out. It only started acting up on me
after I upgraded to version 1.3. Versions 1.1 and 1.2 worked just fine
and never gave me problems.

> The far more computer literate can speak to this.  But, this
> made my decision on whether to build a high performance Windows machine to
> run image editing or buy a Mac.

Macintosh might be the answer, simply because it runs Unix (unless we
get technical about what to call things).

Now that it is out for Macintosh, we can alway hope that Adobe and
others will start developing for Linux. THEN we'll have a good working
platform.

But that's another story. I just wish I had never upgraded to 1.3.1

Daniel

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Lightroom off on a tangent)