Subject: [Leica] more on the film noir lighting goodness
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Wed Dec 26 11:09:03 2007

more putzing around with the ingrid bergman book trying to follow the
shadows back. it looks like on a lot of them there's a highly directional
light, like a snoot, but that gives somewhat soft shadows -- a small gridded
softbox maybe? whatever it is, i ain't got one.

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2007/dawn-before-death.jpg

Here's another "behind the scenes" from yesterday's "pork pie hat" shoot,
showing how we did the shadows on the wall. a bare flash about 4 feet to
yag's right. and then the snooted strobe would be aimed at trill's face to
light that. note the gun safety techniques of our highly trained villain who
will not even put his finger on the trigger of a water pistol.

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2007/dawn-before-death2.jpg

one of the early shots before we realized that we had a neighbor handy to
play the bad guy.

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2007/dawn-before-death3.jpg

the background there was created by shooting a strobe through a gobo made
out of the lid to a pizza box into which we'd cut some slits. like bill
cosby always said on "fat albert" -- "if you're not careful, you just might
learn something."

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2007/dawn-before-death4.jpg

anyone want to recommend a good book or video on film noir lighting
techniques?

kc

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] more on the film noir lighting goodness)