Subject: [Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Dec 13 07:13:14 2007

In my experience:
        Wide angle lenses are best served by using the filter if you're
after good color with a minimum of fuss in post processing; as well
as avoidance of the cyan vignette.
        It's been difficult for me determine if the coding/filter
combination significantly improves an image over filter/without
coding. I have an uncoded 35 lux asph which does very well with the
filter to improve color rendering and vignetting.
        Longer lenses have fewer issues - yet, if color is the aim - use of
filter can decrease time in post processing.
        I've not seen any significant image degradation from use of the
filter
EXCEPT - when strong light sources appear in or near the frame. Then
the "reflected source" issue arises.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com